Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Start down the road to weight loss


Since my last blog was solely about the bar exam, I decided today’s blog will be about my weight loss. I want to make clear. I'm not my weight. Yes I am fat, yes this is a mental and physical struggle. I have issues with overeating. I want to healthy first, and thin second. I want to move better and prevent future health issues BUT I am still a person. I am still going to participating in life. I have so much more going on in my life that does not involve the size of my dresses. With that said, the trick is going to be in finding balance. I don't want to be one of those women who skips meals, feels guilty for eating dessert once in awhile, worries about every pound, finds self-worth in being thin, is determined by all means to remain under a size two or four or six. I know that even at my thinnest I will always be a plus size and I am ok with that. (I am 5’9” with a large frame). I also do not want to be the woman who secretly binges, is always trying a new diet, is scared of never losing weight, is worried about growing out of size 24 jeans, always worried people don't like me because I'm fat, and over-compensating in other areas of my life to avoid dealing with my weight.

The next thing you should know about me. I love good food, I love recipes, good cooking, ethnic foods, you name it. I actually love to plan meals and grocery shop. And I just cannot for the life of me get on board with eating "diet" food. The notion that some foods are bad and others are not. The question I will have to continually ask myself is: How to make both worlds exist. Eating good food in moderation. I want to eliminate the idea that "diet" anything is the key to weight loss and stop feeling bad for wanting to enjoy food for what it is and should be: delicious nourishment. With that said, I need to cut out the junk. Eat out less, and cook more at home. I will keep a food journal. Initially I will just log the things I normally eat. I will write everything I eat down, and I mean everything, this will make me more aware of what I am and am not eating. The ultimate goal is to be able to make better decisions based on what I am and am not eating

I think the approach to weight loss is that will work best for me is to keep it simple. Watch calories in vs. calories out. I have watched friends and family go on restrictive diets. More often than not it fails and tortures the person in the process. Though I want to lose weight my interest lies ultimately with being healthier and I am a firm believer that happiness is an important part of being healthy. So here is a tentative plan to get started.

High Energy Food that is non-addictive:
Meat: chicken, beef, seafood, pork
Vegetables: All except potatoes
Grains: 100% whole grain pasta, bread and crackers, oatmeal
Beans: All beans and legumes
Fat: olive oil or nut oils
Dairy: Eggs, 1 serving of milk or cheese daily
Nuts: unsalted walnuts or almonds
fruit: 1-2 servings

Low Energy Food:
Refined sugar, flour, starchy, processed carbs or empty calories. 

Flexible day: One day a week of my choosing for eating favorite meals out etc. In order to enjoy this day I must exercise at least 45 minutes. 

Basic rules: Eat high energy foods majority of the time, in the amount of satisfaction. Follow guidelines when eating out unless if is a flexible day of eating. No calorie counting is required, but keeping a food journal is for record keeping. I must weigh in once a week and subtract amount lost from total weight loss goal tally (goal: 130 lbs lost)

Flexible exception: If you choose to eat a low energy food item in moderation IE: one cookie, one serving of potatoes, one white flour roll etc. Add 30 minutes of cardio to the day for each serving consumed.

Exercise plan:
6 days a week of at least 45 minutes of cardio. One day for rest is permitted except for flexible eating day. 1-2 days of strength training.

No comments:

Post a Comment